NSBHS School Counseling staff will act as a vessel for information and resources to aid in the goal of high school graduation and post-secondary planning while promoting personal growth and aid students to become responsible, culturally aware, and productive members of our society.
New Smyrna Beach High School Counselors believe:
BELIEFS AND PHILOSOPHY
- All stakeholders deserve respect
- We serve all students
- All students deserve to feel safe and secure at school
- We advocate for student’s academic, social/emotional and career needs
- We promote communication with students, parents, teachers, administrators, staff and community members
- Students are responsible for their educational success and choices
and that the New Smyrna Beach High School’s comprehensive school counseling program should:
- Be based on specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, timely (SMART) goals derived from data
- Be based on the Florida Framework for Guidance and Counseling as well as the ASCA National Standards
- Be planned by the school counseling team with input from an advisory board
- Be evaluated by all stakeholders
and that all counselors in New Smyrna Beach High School:
- Abide by the professional school counseling ethics as advocated by the Volusia School Counselor Association, the Florida School Counseling Association, and the American School Counselor Association.
- Participate in professional development activities that improve the quality of the school counseling program.
- Goal 1: Reduce overall retention rate by 2%.
- Goal 2: Improve At-Risk Cohort graduation rate by 5% compared to previous year.
- Goal 3: 80% of 9th grade students will create a four year plan and update it yearly.